Old 15-04-2009, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default North facing garden problem

In article ,
says...

I have a new build house with a tiny 20 foot by 16 foot north facing
garden. I`m currently planning to convert it into a beautiful courtyard
with decking, pergola and patio and have no lawn.

As I know nothing about gardening I really need some advice on the
types of plants I will be able to have in my garden when its done. It
doesn`t get much direct sunlight being on the north side.

I would love a climber to run up the pergola but whats the best kind
and after that I`m planning on having various plants in pots around the
garden but which should I go for, it seems when I look at the advice
labels on plants that they all need to be in the sunshine. I really
want to have lavendar and I like bamboo and grasses and I would like a
little herb garden but will this work?

I basically need to know plants that thrive in the shade.

--
hedgehawg

A lot will depend on where you are in the world but if its a city you
should be able to grow most shade plants (Ferns, Treeferns, Bamboos,
Camellias) and lots more besides, a lot of roses and clematis will grow
and flower well north facing. I suspect the herb garden may prove
difficult as they are mostly sun lovers (How about a herb window box on
the sunny side?)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk