Old 13-04-2003, 07:44 PM
~ jan

Default Water test kit?

I respectfully beg to differ.

On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 00:33:39 -0400, KenCo wrote:

essential:
any 2 part or dry tab Ammonia kit.

True, but

almost all other tests are basicly useless:

False, because....

PH, 99.9% of fish adapt w/ no probs..

Yes, in a stable pond, but we all know testing one day at the same time
doesn't always tell the whole story. Therefore....

NitrIte, good only in new setup to tell you
when its spiking. BUT! its normal to spike LOL

NitrAte, plants lower it, kit useless unless
you have nitrAte sensitive fish (NOT).

DH/KH etc, unless its Discus, really not needed.

I consider all of these important until one knows their pond, incoming
water and rainfall conditions. You WILL need to have the tests and know how
to use them if you ever have sick fish or pond problems. Those of us who
have graduated from the KHA program (see akca.org website) are stressing
that you are NOT keeping fish, you are keeping water quality! Without the
tests, how will you ever know? Excellent water quality equals healthy fish,
assuming one practices quarantine methods. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter designs:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a