Old 13-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Benjamin Munsch

Default Tank and plant disinfection

You have to take into account that Na Hypochlorite contains only half as
much Hypochlorite per Molecule as Ca Hypochlorite, since Na is only 1+, Ca
is 2+. But since NaClO is almost exactly half as heavy as CaClO, this is
countered out again. By my calculation, you'd need 2256 mg/l of your
chlorox. By the way, I'm not familiar with chlorox, is that a cleaning
agent? If so, it will also contain Chlorite, ClO2, and other cleaning agents
and I wouldn't advise you to use it. If it's only Na Hypochlorite and water,
it should work (at least to kill your germs, I don't know if it's dangerous
to the plants and/or future fishes).

"SLEngst" wrote:
An australian source mentions 200 mg/L of 65% calcium hypochlorite.

However I
wouldn't even know where to get that. Regular clorox (Na hypochlorite) is

6%.
What dilution rate would I need to assure I've cleaned the tank - and for

how
long? The australian recipe is 200 mg/L for 1 hr or 100 mg/L for 24 hrs.

suppose the simple solution would be 10 times as much as clorox is 10

times
weaker???