Old 16-04-2009, 12:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Tim Tim is offline

Default minimum pot size for chili plants

Billy wrote:
In article ,
bigmike20vt wrote:

Hi

my 1st post, maybe of many

i have 50 chilli plants.

various variaties - 7 different types - 8 including my sweet peppers.

now last year i used pretty big pots for each plant, however with so
many this year (for jams and chuckneys) i need to know the minimum pot
size i can get away with for average sized chilli plants so as not to
hold them back too much.

am hoping 3ltr pots will do it, but smaller would be good if poss... i
used 6 liter pots last year but i just do not have room for 50 of
them!, and the compost would cost a fortune.

thanks for any advice. am wondering if i could use small tomato
growbags at a push, maybe 4 plants in each one.

cheers
M.

The size of your plant will depend on the size of its' root system.
Smaller pots = smaller plants.

Hello Mike,

I have been growing all my veggies in containers for a while now.
For the last few years I have had 24 pepper plants in six plastic
"window planters" that are 6" wide by about 3'long and 5 or 6" deep, 4
plants to the container. I grow jalapeņo, cayenne, Ital hots, and
habbies. I don't know about the size of the plants, but I am very
happy with their production.
Keep them watered and well fed, I think you may be surprised.
Good luck!

Tim