Old 16-04-2009, 04:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Pricing nonsense

In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

"Ernie Willson" wrote in message
Just back from H. Depot and W-Mart. I wanted to buy some garden fertilizer
and a patio tomato. For 10-10-10 fertilizer the price was just $20.00 for
a 40 lb bag (or $0.50/lb) in each store. ISTM that the price has taken a
huge jump this year. IIRC the last time I bought fertilizer (two years
ago) it was about $0.10/lb. Is my memory correct?

For a single patio tomato W-Mart wanted $3.48. The clerk was dumbfounded
when I told her to take it back. My logic goes like this...If I nurture
this plant and it grows well, and sets fruit etc, I can expect to get
about three pounds of fruit from it. This will occur at about the same
time that the Jersey tomato crop comes in and they sell for about
$0.39/lb. So my $3.48 investment and work will return me about $1.00. Does
this seem to be good sense to you?

Could it be that because people cannot afford food the stores are gouging
of gardening stuff? Your thoughts??

EJ in NJ

Makes absolutely imperfect sense. If you were growing for $ profit, you
wouldn't be in the position you are now by having to get a plant from a
retail outlet. So, explain again your goals in the past and now, and why
those 2 might have changed or ignored the current market if not changed...

Corporate America will make a profit off those not independent enough to
anticipate their moves. Last warning for those anticipating growing for
thier own seed...

Translation from the Chamber of Commerce: You snooze. You Lose.
--

- Billy