Old 15-04-2009, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default vegetable patch.

soulman writes
hi all new to growing things and just have a question..

if made my first vegetable patch 7ft x 5ft. Not sure what to do, I skimmed
the top of the grass off(composted) and then dug it over. I added some
brought compost, also a bit of stuff id made from last year and raked.
planted some potato's and onions sets at the beginning of April. The
question is I'm getting lots and lots of small shoots no more than a couple
inches apart and it covers the patch(2 x leaves, 5mm high with a single long
root). Is this normal?

Quite normal!

I expected to weed but there's loads! I've started
raking around my shoots to disrupt them is this enough?

If you can get the roots of the seedlings above ground, and especially
if you do it on a dry day so they dry out quickly, it will kill them.
But you'll have to repeat it regularly as successive waves of seedlings
appear.

Once your potatoes start growing it'll be less of a problem as the
foliage will overshadow the weed seedlings. The onions will continue to
be a bother.

--
Kay