Old 13-04-2003, 08:08 PM
paghat

Default Well then, Who recognizes THIS herb?

In article ,
(paghat) wrote:

This foot-wide spreading groundcovery clump of foliage is an edible herb,
but which one:

http://www.paghat.com/images/tasty_apr.jpg

The woman I got it from said it's "variegated cress" but I can't find a
garden cress species with such ornate serated leaves. It has an almost
peppery taste.

-paghat the ratgirl

This newsgroup rarely fails to have SOMEone who recognizes things, & I
really thought the "tasty_apr.jpg" was going to turn out to be something
common lots of folks recognized. *sniff* i still don't know what it is.

Though I thought THAT one was likely something common, the following one I
suspect will be hard to recognize, so perhaps I'll be wrong again &
everyone will know what it is. Lucky me if so:

http://www.paghat.com/images/compani...enalia_apr.jpg

& a close-up of the teency light lilac flowers, three times life size:

http://www.paghat.com/images/compani...analia_apr.jpg

This was for all I knew a weed that was in a potted Lachenalia
purpureo-caerulea, & since the lachenalia has been somewhat boring & never
yet bloomed, I kept the weed as adding a bit of interest to the pot. It's
been growng in the pot for a full year & always looked like a fern; this
is the first its bloomed. It's in a full bright south-facing sunny window
& looks like the sort of thing that'd shrivel up in so much sun but it
keeps on chugging.

Anyhow, it's probably a longshot, but whether it's a weed or herb, thought
I'd take a chance someone here would recognize it.

And speaking of lachanalias, the L. splendida which Cereiod identified now
has it's own webpage, with credit to Cereiod for helping out:
http://www.paghat.com/lachenalia.html

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"