Old 17-04-2009, 03:39 AM posted to triangle.gardens
[email protected] pakrat@usenet.pr.neotoma.org is offline

Default Container gardening

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 15:19:33 -0400 in Richard Evans wrote:
wrote:

Homewood might be easier for you to get to.
It's on honeycutt rd which sits more or less halfway
between six forks and falls of neuse along durant.

http://homewoodnursery.com/page/o4gj...s_Parking.html

Went to Homewood today.

It is easier to get to than Logan Trading, and it has a HUGE
greenhouse, but as far as supplies go it's geared more towards
landscaping and interior decorating than simple gardening and utility
materials. They carry no nursery pots, flats, trays, etc. The first
person I talked to didn't even know what they were.

well, as I said, i'd probably first beg food grade 5 gallon buckets
off of the bakery at sam's club, harris teeter, and BJ's.

And I'd probably pester the landscaping company with offices there
asking about pots left over from jobs for planting vegetables in
containers.

As for asking people. Yeah, unless I actually see them
in the non-customer area moving plants from flats to larger pots,
I wouldn't ask them about flats unless I wanted an answer concerning
shoes or apartments...

As for actually buying flats... Unless I wanted to purchase
a thousand of them, and enough vermiculite and perlite to make
my own seedling mix... I just can't hit a better price point than
the jiffy 72 greenhouse trays at walmart.
I can sometimes hit a slightly better price point for the ferry morse
(morris?) branded ones, but they aren't as well made.

I did buy a couple of well-established tomato plants and some onion
sets, but that was all they had. On the way out the door, I did
discover a small table of lettuce seedlings. The clerk said they would
have more seedlings soon, but by now I've got pretty much everything I
need.

I'm trying to remember which weekend before April 10th I was there.
Pickings were pretty slim at the time.

--
Chris Dukes
davej eskimos have hundreds of words for snow. I have two. Bullshit.