Old 17-04-2009, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Is Organic Topsoil Worth It??

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 00:08:58 GMT, "brooklyn1"
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 00:56:23 -0500, "Hedda Lettis"
wrote:

Just curious as how big your garden is. A cubic yard doesn't go very
far.

When I bought this house all the top horizon of soil was in tact, to
that I added 12 yards of compost after the pool was built. We live on
half acre and I would say since the house is 3,000 sq ft, the pool 50'
x 10' and we have a 400 sq ft deck near the pool, the garden is about,
oh, about every square inch outside a small piece of turf in the front
yard.

Why would someone who claims to be so into gardening move all the way from
NY to the _wide open_ spaces of TX for a measly 1/2 acre, a legitimate
query.

My husband works for Dell Inc. This house was the ONLY house
available to move in to. I sold our house up in Dallas in three days,
leaving me very little time. I wanted five acres, but the only houses
available were built in the 80s and would need major updating and I
wanted a new house. I am very content on half acre living next door
to a judge, across from the Sherrif, three house away from a cop, next
door to a soldier, etc. I don't need more room. I'm a gardener, not
a farmer. You don't think a half acre is ample for ornamental
gardening? How much of your property is cultivated?

I have sixteen acres here, about eight acres parked out... another three
acres if I count my pond area and wildflower meadow, the rest is pretty much
wooded although I do tend to a lot of those areas too, especially keeping
wild grape and other vines from smothering small trees/shrubs. I had a half
acre on Long Island, I never liked my plants all right near to and up
against each other, and having to limit what I could grow due to lack of
space... here instead I'm limited by what critters eat, but I like the
wildlife too and there is always fencing. Down the road I have another
property of 91 acres, about ten acres wooded, the rest is in hay... the
haying pays all my taxes plus a small profit. Were I younger I might've
considered building a house and living on that property, but I'm happy here
and have no plans to more.