Old 17-04-2009, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] tinnews@isbd.co.uk is offline

Default Conifer Questions

Sleepalot wrote:
Hello Folks, I'm in the W.Midlands, a bit of a gardening newbie,
and haven't had my house very long.

In my north facing, front garden boundary, I've got a row of six
plants;
a rhododendron-type thing,
a leylandii-type conifer,
a dark yew-type (multi-stemmed) conifer,
a spindley shrub,
a second leylandii-type conifer,
and a second yew-type conifer.

They were all very tall, when I bought the place, and I've had
them all topped, down to a height of about 10 ft.

I've noticed that, on my neighbour's side (the sunny side),
the leylandii are dead, to a height of about 6 ft - which isn't very
pretty. (I don't suspect any malice.)

So, my question's are; what's caused this, and can I do anything
to improve things?

Possible causes are;
roots cut (for cable tv) - would've affected all plants.
weedkiller - would've affected all plants.
...?

Can I stimulate new growth by removing the dead twigs, or would I
then just have bare trunks?

My guess is that you'll just get bare trunks, Leylandii only grow at
the tips I think. They're very difficult to prune drastically without
getting dead/bare chunks.

--
Chris Green