Old 18-04-2009, 02:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default white sleeves on trees?

"Ablang" wrote:
I was at the nursery and I noticed, especially for the fruit trees,
that they had white paper sleeves around the trunks of the trees...

Does anyone know why they do that, and will that benefit other trees
as well?

The paper wrap is to help prevent wind burn and sun scald to young saplings
because their bark is so thin... does nothing to prevent rabbits from
nibbling because they actually enjoy eating that paper too. The paper wrap
should only be used in cold climates and needs to be removed as soon as the
ground begins to thaw, or insects will make their homes under the paper and
will also encourage mold growth by holding moisture. Wrap is totally
unnecesary once the mature bark begins to form. If you have a rabbit
nibbling problem use a sleeve of wire mesh (chicken wire works well) but
don't let it touch the tree. Some folks paint tree trunks white, for the
same reason some folks paint rocks they place along the roadway,
visibility/decorative... in parts of Florida and California I've seen palm
tree trunks on particular Blvds. painted, some in pastel blue and flamingo
pink, strictly for increasing visibility along roadways and obviously for
decorative purposes.