Old 18-04-2009, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clematis advice

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 12:46:11 +0100, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

In article aaab4119-fb50-4664-8586-
,
says...
Thanks Charlie, I looked at them in your catalogue and I notice they
all say prune hard. Will they cover an area of wall each year that I
want covered if I have to prune it back on an annual basis?

Judith

If you imagine something roughly pear shaped (narrower at the base) and
around 15 feet high thats what they will do each year, but each winter
they are chopped back. so if you want permant cover you will need
something like roses, (there are not too many very hardy climbers that
will flower on a north wall)

The National Clematis collection at Helmsley Walled Garden look a real
mess.
What are they doing wrong?
--

Martin

I think they have been having problems with lack of volunteer helpers (but
clematis look pretty bad all winter!!)