Old 18-04-2009, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith Smith Judith Smith is offline

Default Tomatoes (Again) - Capillary Matting?

Some may recall I lost all of my tomatoes do due damping off - (thanks
for all comments and support)

All of the replacements are coming along quite nicely - BUT I am
paranoid about losing them again.

I am currently watering the 10inch trays by standing in water until
the top of the compost starts to show moisture. But this is a pain -
and the surface of the composts dries out and cracks. All plants are
healthy and getting bigger so it is working.

However, I wonder if using capillary matting would be the answer -
giving a steady supply of moisture to the plants but without any
danger of over watering.

Suggestion/Comments please