Old 19-04-2009, 02:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default white sleeves on trees?

On 4/18/2009 5:00 PM, Phisherman wrote [in part]:

Anyway,
painting a trunk, good or bad, is a crime against nature.

Ah, but many of the plants in my garden -- including trees -- do not
exist in nature. They either represent centuries of selective breeding
or else more recent hybridization.

If I allowed my garden to return to nature, most of the plants there
would die from the lack of artificial irrigation. 200-250 days without
rain followed by a short rainy season that brings 9-15 inches would be
too dry to grow peaches, oranges, lemons, roses, camellias, guavas,
begonias, azaleas, holly, etc. A few of my plants might survive: oak,
rosemary, cistus, baccharis.

I grow unnatural plants. Why not use unnatural methods?

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/.

Don't ask "Why is there road rage?" Instead, ask
"Why NOT Road Rage?" or "Why Is There No Such
Thing as Fast Enough?"
http://www.rossde.com/roadrage.html