Old 19-04-2009, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_4_] Ophelia[_4_] is offline

Default Gardener's World

Martin wrote:
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 00:56:09 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

On 18 Apr, 16:26, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 13:45:00 +0100, Gordon H

wrote:
In message , 'Mike'
writes
My wife is an avid Gardener and has been a fan of Gardener's
World back to Percy Thrower. This week she lost interest half way
through and did other things. The Gnome's Sanctuary finally drove
her out!!!

What are other people's views as to who BBC are aiming the
programme at? Not the 'Grown up' gardener for sure.

Mike

I lost interest as I watched the demonstration of drilling,
plugging and screwing 'ooks into a wall.
Nice people, not exactly sure what they are supposed to be doing?

I switched to an old repeat of Top Gear in desperation.

If you think GW is bad, you should see the RTBF Belgian equivalent.
The man used a spade as a trowel and then used the trowel when he
should have used the spade. He was very good at sawing up bits of
wood to perfect size without making any measurements and then using
a power to tool to screw the bits of wood together.

I can remember when they used to set up a "Garden" on the roof of
Broadcasting House to do the Prog.
The memorable prog was when Percy Thrower was showing how to use a
hollow tine fork on your lawn, he pushed it in then as he tried to
pull it out the turf stuck to it so he had to put his foot at the
side of the fork to hold the turf down as he pulled the fork out.
The Greenhouse which was something like 10 x 6ft was just a frame so
they could film what was happening inside.
Ah! Those were the days.

This guy started off by planting a row of small leylandii plants less
than six inches apart, a foot from the end wall and across the full
width of the garden.

I can't remember the name of it but there used to be a gardening programme
on tv based in Aberdeen. I am sure somene here will remember. I visited
the site and had a lovely day. The presenters were available for chatting
and the site was good.

They were very good on the programme too.