Old 19-04-2009, 04:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Temporary fencing for protection against deer....

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 11:31:33 -0400, wrote:

Well, the s.o. and I walked the grounds today.... everything looks fairly good, except
something destroyed half the tulip bed yesterday night.

She decided my next project is to build a deer protection fence to protect a line of
shrubs from the critters.

About 20 - 25 feet long, 4 feet wide 4 feet high type of cage (rectangle)
Needs to be about 6" off the ground to allow space for cutting small areas of grass,
clippers or string trimmer... doesn't matter which.
Temporary- will only be there for 2 - 3 years to allow plants to establish themselves.
Discreet - something the neighbors will not notice ( ha - if THATS possible).
Inexpensive -

A fence which is not a fence to protect a line of shrubs from persistent deer. The
homeowners association goes into a frenzied panic with even a garden plot... they'll
go totally beserk with any type of permanent structure.

I'm thinking those green posts with chicken wire. Perhaps even the green plastic fencing
with the more solid mesh.

Any other fencing material that might be considered. Its gotta be a physical barrier...
all the other stuff has been tried.

Thanks !!

Peter

I protect young plants, then remove the protection after a few years.
Most of the plantings are destroyed, but the ones that remain are
fairly deer resistant. At one time I had 16 azaleas, now only three
are left. I am about to remove chicken wire that protects
established winter jasmine as it is growing out of its cage. If it
gets eaten so be it. I'll replace it with rue.