Old 19-04-2009, 06:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

Default Temporary fencing for protection against deer....

wrote in message

About 20 - 25 feet long, 4 feet wide 4 feet high type of cage
(rectangle)
Needs to be about 6" off the ground to allow space for cutting small areas
of grass,
clippers or string trimmer... doesn't matter which.
Temporary- will only be there for 2 - 3 years to allow plants to
establish themselves.
Discreet - something the neighbors will not notice ( ha - if THATS
possible).
Inexpensive -

You will not keep out deer with a four foot high fence, or a six foot high
fence and if they are really hungry or determined an eight foot won't work
very well either unless they are crippled or three legged deer. Two 4 ft
fences will work however IF you put them in 4 feet apart. Sort of a double
fence, one inside the other running parallel. I used the double fence when
living in Montana and never had deer get into my vegetable garden. They
can't make the double bounce to get into the fenced area. They can jump high
or wide but won't do both. Deer are also notorious for going under fences. I
don't know where you live but that 6 inch gap at the bottom would allow some
deer without antlers to belly under as well. Better make it 4 inches. Only
leaving a fence up till things are established probably won't work. Deer
will eat established plants just as well as the young plants and it won't
take them long to figure out the fence is no longer there. I left the inside
gate standing open one night and that's all it took for them to discover my
error and hop the outside gate and into my garden and my gates were only 24
inches wide.

You might look into the motion activated sprinklers as a deer deterrent. I
keep reading they work pretty well. Hanging soap, chemical and organic
sprays or urine of any species don't really work all that well if at all. A
neighbor actually order lion dung from a zoo. It turned out to be a
reasonably good source of fertilizer and gave the town something to guffaw
at for months.

Or you could fence your property and keep a couple of yapping, barking dogs
to do sentry duty. The neighbors would LOVE that!

Val