Old 19-04-2009, 07:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom[_2_] JoeSpareBedroom[_2_] is offline

Default Temporary fencing for protection against deer....

wrote in message

Well, the s.o. and I walked the grounds today.... everything looks fairly
good, except
something destroyed half the tulip bed yesterday night.

She decided my next project is to build a deer protection fence to protect
a line of
shrubs from the critters.

About 20 - 25 feet long, 4 feet wide 4 feet high type of cage
(rectangle)
Needs to be about 6" off the ground to allow space for cutting small areas
of grass,
clippers or string trimmer... doesn't matter which.
Temporary- will only be there for 2 - 3 years to allow plants to
establish themselves.
Discreet - something the neighbors will not notice ( ha - if THATS
possible).
Inexpensive -

A fence which is not a fence to protect a line of shrubs from persistent
deer. The
homeowners association goes into a frenzied panic with even a garden
plot... they'll
go totally beserk with any type of permanent structure.

I'm thinking those green posts with chicken wire. Perhaps even the green
plastic fencing
with the more solid mesh.

Any other fencing material that might be considered. Its gotta be a
physical barrier...
all the other stuff has been tried.

Thanks !!

Peter

A 4 foot fence won't work. You'll actually hear deer laughing at it at
night. 6 feet didn't work for me, either, until I set up a cold frame,
tomato cages and bean poles. I think all the structures made them nervous
about not having a clear place to land. So far, it's worked for two years. I
also placed chunks of Irish Spring bar soap in socks hung on the fence. A
friend recommended it after having success with it around some young trees
which the deer had previously mauled.