Old 19-04-2009, 10:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom[_2_] JoeSpareBedroom[_2_] is offline

Default What's wrong with this holly?

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 15:00:00 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

Actually, it might not be a holly. This is in Rochester NY (zone 5-6-ish),
eastern exposure, roots about 2 feet from blacktop driveway. A friend just
moved into the house two days ago. We have no idea how the shrub was
treated/managed in the past. Previous owner is very secretive about it,
since she's deceased. Wind/frost could be the issue, but I'm wondering if
soil could somehow be SO screwed up that it would cause what you see in
the
pictures.

Two pictures:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...g?t=1240166781

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...g?t=1240166793

This is not a holly but Oregon grape root. It produces clusters of
small yellow flowers in the spring, then produces small bunches of
dark purple berries that resemble grapes.

First, carefully inspect the plant for pests. I doubt that is an
issue, but check anyway.

Prune it back to shape, clean off the surface soil and mulch it with
compost. Don't hesitate to prune it back halfway, it will trigger new
growth. It does not like too much heat, but your zone should be
fine. The plant has medicinal uses including heart rate regulation.
Propagate using layering. I believe your plant will recover with one
pruning and mulching treatment. The plant has thick waxy leaves
making it resistant to wind, frost, and physical damage. I would
not rule out soil contamination, did you use salt on the driveway
during the winter?

My friend just moved in two days ago. But, the previous owner was pretty
frail, so I'll bet she salted the bejeezus out of the driveway. My friend
won't. She's a nurse. She thinks injuries are fascinating. :-)