Old 20-04-2009, 03:05 AM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default What's wrong with this holly?

On Apr 19, 12:00 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
Actually, it might not be a holly. This is in Rochester NY (zone 5-6-ish),
eastern exposure, roots about 2 feet from blacktop driveway. A friend just
moved into the house two days ago. We have no idea how the shrub was
treated/managed in the past. Previous owner is very secretive about it,
since she's deceased. Wind/frost could be the issue, but I'm wondering if
soil could somehow be SO screwed up that it would cause what you see in the
pictures.

Two pictures:http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...llyFull.jpg?t=...

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...llyCloseUp.jpg...

Hi Joe
Welcome back
I agree w/ Phisherman, it is a holly grape or grape holly. It's genus
is Mahonia (but sometimes listed as Berberis
as the experts can't agree on its genus yet. Could be M. aquifolium,
Oregon HG. It should be OK as to
cold so I am thinking the driveway salt is a good guess.

Oh, Phish, it doesn't mind the heat so much as the direct sun. It does
fine here in Nor Cal where we go
into the 100s+ every summer. Just likes early morning sun; a drought
tolereant, low water plant also.

Emilie
NorCal