Old 19-04-2009, 11:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Where to buy the best seeds???

In article ,
"Lilah Morgan" wrote:

Yeah I keep saying I'm gonna step back from processed foods and go to a more
'natural' hunter/gatherer type diet(aka if I can't kill it or pick it, I
won't eat it), and someday I'll actually do it. I have started with small
steps like switching from pasta to rice. Rice still is processed, but it's
mostly just hulling/polishing it as far as I know, and it's just rice. Pasta
has flour, eggs, water, preservatives and other crap in it...and thanks for
the other info

Hold on cowboy, you still got whole wheat pasta and brown rice. I made
Spanish rice last night with brown rice :

Meaty Spanish Rice

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

2 tablespoons butter
1/2 pound ground turkey
1 onion -- chopped
1 green bell pepper -- chopped
2 cups chicken stock
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 cu long-grain brown rice -- uncooked
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper -- optional
black pepper -- to taste

In a skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add ground turkey, onion and
green pepper and cook until turkey is browned and vegetables are tender.
Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer
until rice is tender, about 30 minutes.

Very edible. It was a little damp after 30 min. so I threw in another
1/4 cup brown rice and waited another 30 min. I was going to serve it
with chard but got lazy and just served salad.

You also still have whole wheat bread. Look at the difference in white
unbleached flour:
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom...st_nut_edit.pl
compared to whole wheat flour:
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom...st_nut_edit.pl

White flour, it's amazing. They strip out most of the nutrition, add
back six or so vitamins and call it enriched!

I haven't cut out all my white bread. I love croissants with jam in the
morning and French bread and cheese (occasionally) after dinner or for
dinner with a salad.
--

- Billy