Old 19-04-2009, 09:55 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Just another old guy Just another old guy is offline

Default Cutting new leaves off deciduous trees -- prunus mume, Japanese flowering plum/apricot

I recently started a Japanese flowering plum bonsai (prunus mume) --
purchased it from a bonsai nursery in a training pot and have transferred it
to a bonsai dish and wired it.

It is beginning to sprout leaves. Should I cut off the leaves from this
bonsai?

When I was stationed in Japan I had several maple tree bonsai and as the new
leaves emerged in the spring, I cut them off which caused the tree to put
out new leaves that were more numerous and smaller than the original leaves.

Somewhere I heard that you need to do the same thing to all deciduous
bonsai-- cut off new leaves to cause more, smaller leaves to grow but don't
know if that applies to prunus mume.

Thanks.