Old 19-04-2009, 09:39 PM posted to soc.culture.scottish,uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Apple Pie Mites

"Glenallan" wrote
I live in Scotland.
A previous owner of my house planted an apple tree.
This tree gives a great abundance of sizeable apples which are quite
sweet.
The trouble is that due to my neglect each season,
the hundreds of apples go to waste.

Frankly I don't know how to treat this tree.
What kind of spray etc should I use to prevent little mites from spoiling
the apples.

Also, the tree is near a very busy main road, and
I am a little worried about toxic fumes.

I hope someone can help. ;-)
I estimate I am good for about 3000 apple pies in September.

The mites are the larvae of a moth that can't fly and that climbs up the
trunk of the tree to lay it's eggs. So you need to put a grease band around
the tree to trap the females by this autumn to protect the buds for next
year, it's already too late for this years crop I'm afraid.
Also make sure you don't let infected apples lay on the ground around the
tree.

My research on toxic fumes from busy roads has shown that it is only a
problem quite close to a motorway and that it washes off.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden