Old 19-04-2009, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Fuschia[_3_] Fuschia[_3_] is offline

Default Mushy Pea Seeds

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 11:48:39 -0500, Davy
wrote:

On 30th March, when the soil was nicely warmed, I planted
a couple of rows of peas into a raised bed warmed by a
fleece cloche. I watered them copiously as recommended cos
the peas are dried and need to dehydrate.
Now three weeks later only 10% germination.

Digging down I find that the pea seeds have swollen into
blobs of green slime.

Is this a common problem? What should I do differently? I
have had no problems the last two years with a different
variety from a different supplier.

I think you are cooking them!
Once they have been rehydrated you can leave off with the watering,
and you can take off the fleece on warm days to let in some fresh air
and stop them getting too hot.