Old 19-04-2009, 11:46 PM posted to soc.culture.scottish,uk.rec.gardening
Glenallan Glenallan is offline

Default Apple Pie Mites

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

The mites are the larvae of a moth that can't fly and that climbs up the
trunk of the tree to lay it's eggs. So you need to put a grease band
around the tree to trap the females by this autumn to protect the buds for
next year, it's already too late for this years crop I'm afraid.
Also make sure you don't let infected apples lay on the ground around the
tree.

My research on toxic fumes from busy roads has shown that it is only a
problem quite close to a motorway and that it washes off.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Hi Bob,
Shifting infected apples I can cope with. How about the grease trap.
What kind of grease would you recommend.?? Maybe someone could
give me the detail on this. Thanks.

My apples haven't actually burst forth yet. Isn't it possible that in
these Northern climes I can actually save them. ?

You have re-assured me about the 'toxic fumes,

Cheers, thanks again.
Glenallan