Old 20-04-2009, 07:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bob[_1_] bob[_1_] is offline

Default magnolia stellata query

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 02:39:30 -0700 (PDT), aquachimp
wrote:

Out of curiosity, does it flower well. By that, I mean on the new(ish)
shoots. The main problem I find with magnolias and pruning is not that
they don't like it, as such, but that the burst into what, if left
unmanaged, will become an abundance of non-flowering/useless shoots.
A bit like Lilacs (syringa)

You could be right - definitely a modest rather than abundant display
this year. But still very pretty and, on what is now a small shrub,
not too bad a sacrifice. But if it were a continuing trend...