Old 20-04-2009, 01:30 PM posted to alt.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens.edible
Robert Lewis Robert Lewis is offline

Default Asian pear tree --- fire bright?

Yep, looks like fire blight to me. The "cure" is to remove any and all affected branches/limbs, washing your cutting blade with alcohol between each cut so as to not spread the bad stuff. It can be pretty rough. We've about given up on apple trees because of it. Yeah, I know there are blight resistant varieties, but we were tired of apples trees anyway.

Robert in the hills of Tennessee

"JS" wrote in message ...
Could somebody take a look at the the problem I have with my Asian pear tree
I have on my backyard. The tree is about 3 yrs old. It sets small fruits at the moment
but seeing this kind of problem is really scare me. If it is indeed the fire bright issue,
how would I go about solving the problem? I live in Dallas, TX area.

Here are the three photos I took this morning:

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/u.../peartree1.jpg
http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/u.../peartree2.jpg
http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/u.../peartree3.jpg

Thanks in advance,