Old 20-04-2009, 04:03 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,alt.home.repair
BobR BobR is offline

Default What to do with dead squirrel?

On Apr 19, 9:24*am, Dan Musicant ) wrote:
Last evening I saw it, traumatized by a blow to the head or neck from
the rat trap it had hit in my backyard. The trap was tethered to a tree.
The bugger (or its cousin) has been digging up my newly planted squash
seeds and this is the only way I've been able to control (somewhat) the
problem.

This morning it's surely dead (I saw one, maybe the same one) that was
evidently stunned from hitting the trap a few days ago, looking dead,
but when I turned my back it darted away.

Warm weather is expected the next few days here in Berkeley, CA (~80
degrees) and wonder about putting it in plastic bags (nested) in my
trash container, pickup being Wednesday morning. Call a city agency?
Bury it in my back yard? What would you do?

Dan

Came home from a long weekend trip last fall and while I was unloading
the car my wife headed for the master bathroom. Something about my
trying to train her to hold if for those four plus hour trips without
stopping causes her to run for that bathroom every single time. This
time was a bit different than normal and instead of seeing her emerge
with that relieved look on her face I hear the blood curdling scream.
I know that last leg of the trip was a bit longer than normal but
damn, it wasn't that long.

I dropped everything and ran for the back bathroom where I found my
wife looking like she had seen the devil himself. Her eyes were
bulging and she was pointing at the john. I didn't see anything
wrong, I had left the lid down before we left and it was still down so
I knew it wasn't that. I reached in and lifted the lid and there
curled up and floating on top of the water was a dead squirrel. It
had apparently crawled down the vent pipe and found its way into the
commode where it had drowned.

I pulled the dead carcas out and put it into a 1 gallon zip lock bag.
I then placed that bag into a trash back and sealed it. Both then
went into the trash for next day pickup. Oh, and my wife never ever
never ever goes to the potty without turning on the lights and double
checking under the lid before setting down. Can't figure why she
wanted that small ceremic squirrel to sit on the top of the tank
though.