Old 20-04-2009, 10:23 PM
ElleJay ElleJay is offline
Registered User

Location: S. France

Hi Kate,

Thanks for your reply. I live in the South of France. We've had loads of rain recently. The soil I think is quite fertile, but is rock hard when dry. I'm freaking out because I haven't had chance to work the soil. I have read for clay soil, it's best to dig in organic matter and sharp sand. I've tried, but only managed to do a bit before giving up. I feel so despondent. I'm not sure I'm doing any good and am worried that I will end up compacting the ground further.

I have managed to get some horse manure, but I think it is a mixture of fresh and composted manure (not too sure). Is it still ok to use it under peas and other veg? I've read it may burn the roots. I also have a rotavator, but it is just too wet to use it. The weather may not clear up until end of the week, but if I wait for the soil to dry out, I will be even later before I am able to put seeds in. Sorry for all the questions. I work full time and long hours, but I so want to do this.

Great forum. Everybody seems so helpful.

Thanks again.

Ellie