Old 20-04-2009, 10:30 PM
iantib iantib is offline
Registered User

Default Any way to improve rubbish Top Soil?

Hi there,
Last year on a budget we made some raised beds & I was suckered by a skip company into buying top soil from them. It arrived & was full of broken glass & crushed bricks & stones. Do you guys know of any way of improving it?

So far I have mixed in some chicken pellet manure, all the compost from my 3 compost bins.

Will it make any difference if I mis in some fish blood or bone meal, or is it the case that its just dead, rubbish soil & my own fault for doing it on the cheap?

The snag is were on a tight budget so any ideas you have will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

p.s. A friend at work's dad has 1000 chickens & has offered me a large supply of chicken poo if I need it.

p.p.s. I should also say were new to gardening so be kind with your responses :-) Especially with me buying top soil from a skip company