Old 21-04-2009, 01:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Glenallan Glenallan is offline

Default Apple Pie Mites

"beccabunga" wrote in message

Glenallan;839774 Wrote:
I live in Scotland.
A previous owner of my house planted an apple tree.
This tree gives a great abundance of sizeable apples
which are quite sweet.

The trouble is that due to my neglect each season,
the hundreds of apples go to waste.

Frankly I don't know how to treat this tree.
What kind of spray etc should I use to prevent little
mites from spoiling the apples.

Also, the tree is near a very busy main road, and
I am a little worried about toxic fumes.

I hope someone can help. ;-)
I estimate I am good for about 3000 apple pies in September.

Glenallan
-----------

Do you mean that you find small grubs inside the apples? If so, these
are the caterpillars of the codling moth, and the way to stop them is
to wrap the trunk with a prepared band in winter to prevent the females
crawling up to lay their eggs in the buds.

http://tinyurl.com/d66cox
--
beccabunga

Well..Yes..I think. ?
The otherwise beautiful apples have little brown
boreholes which are extremely off-putting,

Glenallan