Old 21-04-2009, 03:15 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Kurt[_2_] Kurt[_2_] is offline

Default Pond pump advice

In article ,
"Phil Preen" wrote:

Hello,

I need a pump and filter for an existing pond. There are actually two ponds
the main one is about 2 or 3 feet across and 3 or 4 feet long. The top pond
is very small, about 1 foot round and only a couple of inches deep.
Horizontally there is about 4 or 5 feet between the two ponds, and the top
pond is about 2 feet higher than the bottom pond. The top pond overflows
into a channel full of pebbles which trickles down into the main pond. There
is also a separate waterfall into the main pond. There is some existing
hoses and a switching valve allowing water to go either into the top pond or
to the waterfall or to both. At the moment we are just connecting a hose to
the tap every now and then, but we can't run it for too long, as the main
pond will overfill, and too much tapwater probably isn't good for the
pondlife. The main pond is home to frogs, so will need something with a
decent filter that won't digest the tadpoles.
What sort of power would I need? Would I be best with a pump in the pond, or
outside? Should I get a separate filter, or a pump with the filer built-in?
I'm in the UK, any recommended makes, models, suppliers would be useful.

TIA
Phil

Hi Phil,

I think a small in-pond pump with pre-filter (foam piece) attached would
serve you fine. You need a big enough pump to drive the water to the
higher level. Some mathematics involved.