Old 14-04-2003, 12:08 AM
bern muller

Default Filterless ponds

I would like to start a thread about filterless ponds.

We have about 2500 gallon pond in southern Michigan. We have had it about 20
years. When we originally set up the pond, I didn't want to mess with
electricity and filters, as I had an active aquarium hobby at the time and
filter maintainance was not one of my favorite activities. So, we tried to
run the pond without any electricity. We have three tropical water lillies
and 5 hardys, as well as several other pond plants. Insect control is by way
of goldfish and 3 koi which I do not feed all summer long. They nevertheless
get fat and reproduce vigorously, apparently sustained by insects and pond
vegetation. The water is not crystal clear, but a slightly greenish tint,
and sufficiently clear to see at least a foot down. Algae growth is kept
down by using lots of parrots feather and anacharis to consume nutrients.
The water lillies are fed through a plastic tube system in the pots, and the
other plants by means of fertilizer tablets stuck in the soil. I have
arranged for surface water around the pond to drain away from the pond so
surface nutrients are not washed into the pond. That means I have to add
water occasionally during the summer as rainfall is usually not sufficient
to maintain the level. In fall we drain the pond, catch the fish for inside
maintainance, and refill it.

I would like to exchange suggestions and questions about "natural" pond
maintainance.

bern