Old 21-04-2009, 01:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom[_2_] JoeSpareBedroom[_2_] is offline

Default How do I fix a pourous area?

wrote in message
Hello.

I have a PERFECT spot for a garden at the top of my hill. It is very
flat and gets loads of sunlight. I can do things like set up a soaker
hose or drip system fairly easily. My problem is that there is only a
couple feet of soil over a bunch of fill that I know has to contain a
lot of rocks and such. My house is part of a development that was
built on an old farm sire about 25 years ago. There is a wicked hill
in my back yard that the builders must have amended by building up the
backyards in all the houses on the street by using fill. There is
still a nice bunch of springs that flow freely all year long but they
are dozens of feet underground now. There may be two feet of soil over
this fill if I am lucky.

I have tried several times to grow a garden but I can’t keep the soil
watered well enough for the plants to grow. The water just drains like
it is going through a sieve.

I'm far from being well-versed about the various kinds of landscape fabric,
but last time I inquired about them at a local Agway store, I believe the
guy told me that some of these products allow less water to pass through
than others. If that's true, I wonder if you could use such a fabric
underneath two feet of soil to slow down, but not stop water flow
completely. Obviously, you'd have some backbreaking work ahead of you to
install it, though.

Pond liner doesn't seem like a good idea.