Old 21-04-2009, 02:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] busbus@gmail.com is offline

Default How do I fix a pourous area?

On Apr 21, 8:56*am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

I'm far from being well-versed about the various kinds of landscape fabric,
but last time I inquired about them at a local Agway store, I believe the
guy told me that some of these products allow less water to pass through
than others. If that's true, I wonder if you could use such a fabric
underneath two feet of soil to slow down, but not stop water flow
completely. Obviously, you'd have some backbreaking work ahead of you to
install it, though.

Pond liner doesn't seem like a good idea.

I was thinking about severly slowing down the flow and amending the
soil. In conjunction with raised beds, that should help. But I
thought if I would use raised beds (and by raised, I mean RAISED!
Like maybe 18-24 inches high) that a pond liner would work sort of
like a huge self-wtering container. Maybe I could prick some very
small holes in it to let it drain. I also thought if I dug down
enough and lipped the liner up the sides of the hle only so far, that
the excess water would drain out. I may be entirely wrong!