Old 21-04-2009, 02:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Tim Tim is offline

Default Time release fertilizers

George.com wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message
Billy wrote:
In article ,
Tim wrote:

nanzi wrote:
On Apr 20, 10:12 am, Tim wrote:
I grow everything in containers, and use Pro-Mix BX as the soil
medium.
Very happy with it. It drains so well, I worry that the water soluble
fertilizer leeches out too quick. A garden expert whose podcast I
listen
to Ron Wilson is an avid proponent of Osmakote, a time release
fertilizer.
Does anyone use a time release, and how do you think it works for
you?
Do you still give your plants extra feedings?

Tim

Pro-Mixhttp://www.greenhousemegastore.com/Pro-Mix-BX-38CF-Compressed/produc

t...

Osmakotehttp://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/productTemplate.jsp?tabs=usage&pr

oI...
I have used Osmakote for a couple of years with good results, and I do
not feed inbetween.
Thanks !
Perhaps I will try it this year..It does surprise me that no other
feedings are needed, I thought maybe once a month or so, but if you
are happy with the results...............

Tim

btw--Down boy, down....I figured I may get some grumbles from this,
but I have to ask questions based on what I do...
See Charlie, it sure didn't take me long!! P-)

Yeah, it's all there in black and white for everyone to see. You
don't even know the name of the poison that you use, "Osmocote". That
really encourages the faint hope that you can use it wisely. There
are just no words to describe your brilliance. None at all.

lol...Doesn't take much to get you riled, does it?
Well, as long as you feel better.

Tim, I think the point Billy is making, and perhaps not a bad point
either, is think about other sorts of time release fertilisers also.
Poop based fertilisers for example are also slow release but are also
good for your soil. Don't just look at symthetic slow release, think
about natural fertilisers that deliver a managed amount of nutrients to
your plants and also do some benefit to your soils.

rob

Hi Rob. Thanks for the well written post.
At the beginning of each growing season, I do mix in some
composted poop into my containers.

--
Tim

+ "Strange days indeed." +