Old 21-04-2009, 03:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R Bill R is offline

Default Nasturtium germination

Ennnceee wrote:
Hello.

I sowed some nasturtium seeds around three weeks ago and as there is no
sign of them I had a look at a couple of the seeds, which are still
sound and show no sign of germinating.

Is this just a question of time or is it possible I have a bad lot?

Thanks

Neil

Neil,

Nasturtiums have tough "shells" and often take a long time to sprout.
You can shorten the time by soaking them in warm water for about 12
hours before planting them. Also, "nicking" them (use a fingernail file
to nick the shell) before putting them in warm water helps shorten the
germination time too.

Since you have already planted your seeds I would just let them be and
in a few weeks you should see some them sprout.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

"You are never to old to play in the dirt"

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL