Old 21-04-2009, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Roundup to kill daylilies in raspberry patch?

Diane Whitney wrote:
I've got some old daylilies that keep coming back in my raspberry
patch and I don't know what to do about them. I can't dig them out
without uprooting all the raspberry canes. Although I've always had an
organic garden I'd like to try hitting them with Roundup but I am
wondering if it will kill the raspberries as well, since they are both
spreading plants and completely intertwined.

Get a foam paintbrush and apply a little Roundup concentrate to the
daylily leaves with that. Don't get any on the raspberries. I do that
with dandelions or perennial grasses that come up in the middle of other
plants.

There are a few herbicides that will be released in the soil when the
affected plant dies and poison the surrounding plants (mostly broadleaf
weed killer, I think), but Roundup is not one of 'em.

Bob