Old 21-04-2009, 07:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Roundup to kill daylilies in raspberry patch?

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Diane Whitney wrote:
I've got some old daylilies that keep coming back in my raspberry
patch and I don't know what to do about them. I can't dig them out
without uprooting all the raspberry canes. Although I've always had an
organic garden I'd like to try hitting them with Roundup but I am
wondering if it will kill the raspberries as well, since they are both
spreading plants and completely intertwined.

Get a foam paintbrush and apply a little Roundup concentrate to the
daylily leaves with that. Don't get any on the raspberries. I do that
with dandelions or perennial grasses that come up in the middle of other
plants.

There are a few herbicides that will be released in the soil when the
affected plant dies and poison the surrounding plants (mostly broadleaf
weed killer, I think), but Roundup is not one of 'em.

Bob

And how much larger are raspberry bushes than day lillies?

You poison dandelions? Lord Almighty child, what's wrong with you?

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....cum+officinale
Taraxacum officinale - Weber.

Dandelion

A very nutritious food, 100g of the raw leaves contain about 2.7g.
protein, 9.2g. carbohydrate, 187mg Calcium, 66mg phosphorus, 3.1mg iron,
76mg sodium, 397mg potassium, 36mg magnesium, 14000iu vitamin A, 0.19mg
vitamin B1, 0.26mg vitamin B2, 35mg vitamin C[173]. Root - raw or
cooked[5, 9, 12, 183]. Bitter. A turnip-like flavour[159]. Flowers - raw
or cooked[102, 159]. A rather bitter flavour[K], the unopened flower
buds can be used in fritters[183] and they can also be preserved in
vinegar and used like capers[7]. Both the leaves and the roots are used
to flavour herbal beers and soft drinks such as 'Dandelion and
Burdock'[238]. The roots of 2 year old plants are harvested in the
autumn, dried and roasted to make a very good coffee substitute[2, 4, 5,
12, 54, 159]. It is caffeine-free[213]. A pleasant tea is made from the
flowers[12, 102]. They are also used to make wine - all green parts
should be removed when making wine to prevent a bitter flavour[238]. The
leaves and the roots can also be used to make tea.

Medicinal Uses

Aperient; Cholagogue; Depurative; Diuretic; Hepatic; Laxative;
Stomachic; Tonic; Warts.

The dandelion is a commonly used herbal remedy. It is especially
effective and valuable as a diuretic because it contains high levels of
potassium salts and therefore can replace the potassium that is lost
from the body when diuretics are used[238]. All parts of the plant, but
especially the root, are slightly aperient, cholagogue, depurative,
strongly diuretic, hepatic, laxative, stomachic and tonic[4, 7, 9, 21,
54, 165, 176, 222, 238]. The root is also experimentally cholagogue,
hypoglycaemic and a weak antibiotic against yeast infections[222]. The
dried root has a weaker action[222]. The roots can be used fresh or
dried and should be harvested in the autumn when 2 years old[4]. The
leaves are harvested in the spring when the plant is in flower and can
be dried for later use[9]. A tea can be made from the leaves or, more
commonly, from the roots[213]. The plant is used internally in the
treatment of gall bladder and urinary disorders, gallstones, jaundice,
cirrhosis, dyspepsia with constipation, oedema associated with high
blood pressure and heart weakness, chronic joint and skin complaints,
gout, eczema and acne[238]. The plant has an antibacterial action,
inhibiting the growth of Staphylococcus aureus, Pneumococci,
Meningococci, Bacillus dysenteriae, B. typhi, C. diphtheriae, Proteus
etc[176]. The latex contained in the plant sap can be used to remove
corns, warts and verrucae[7]. The latex has a specific action on
inflammations of the gall bladder and is also believed to remove stones
in the liver[7]. A tea made from the leaves is laxative[222].
--

- Billy