Old 22-04-2009, 01:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Tim Tim is offline

Default Roundup to kill daylilies in raspberry patch?

Charlie wrote:
On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 13:11:48 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 11:30:48 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Diane Whitney wrote:
I've got some old daylilies that keep coming back in my raspberry
patch and I don't know what to do about them. I can't dig them out
without uprooting all the raspberry canes. Although I've always had an
organic garden I'd like to try hitting them with Roundup but I am
wondering if it will kill the raspberries as well, since they are both
spreading plants and completely intertwined.

Get a foam paintbrush and apply a little Roundup concentrate to the
daylily leaves with that. Don't get any on the raspberries. I do that
with dandelions or perennial grasses that come up in the middle of other
plants.

There are a few herbicides that will be released in the soil when the
affected plant dies and poison the surrounding plants (mostly broadleaf
weed killer, I think), but Roundup is not one of 'em.

Bob
And how much larger are raspberry bushes than day lillies?

You poison dandelions? Lord Almighty child, what's wrong with you?
Youngsters nowadays......

Why poison daylilies? All parts of the common daylily are edible.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4466550_eat-...lis-fulva.html

Charlie

Santos hermano, if food doesn't come wrapped in plastic with a price tag
on it, these young'uns would starve to death. Food and medicine, and
they can't see it.

"A man may esteem himself happy when that which is his food is also
his medicine." -Henry David Thoreau

Once again we find wisdom in the truths spoken by the Elders.

Is it possible to "uneducate" the masses and instill any common sense
in the vacuum that would remain?

I see our monsatano rep has shown up in this thread to try and quiet
any doubts that may have been sown about poison. He's also going to
work on Tim, who appears to be a possible initiate into the dark side.

Charlie (two quotes for the price of one today)

"Let thy food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food."----
Hippocrates (460-377 B.C.)

Come on...I didn't even post today, how can I get in poo?

--
Tim

+ "Strange days indeed." +
+ Dr. Winston O'Boogie +