Old 22-04-2009, 02:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Time release fertilizers

"Tim" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
I grow everything in containers, and use Pro-Mix BX as the soil medium.
Very happy with it. It drains so well, I worry that the water soluble
fertilizer leeches out too quick. A garden expert whose podcast I listen
to Ron Wilson is an avid proponent of Osmakote, a time release
fertilizer.
Does anyone use a time release, and how do you think it works for you?
Do you still give your plants extra feedings?

I use Osmacote for indoor plants and pot plants. I'd never consider
using it for something I planned to eat.

Ok, round two....8-)
Please explain.
And btw, thanks for your input!

For decorative plants, I am concerned about how they look therefore the
bigger and more overblown they are the better they meet that criteria.
Chemicals do that in bucket loads - think gross or force feeding.

For food, I am concerned about taste, nutritional quality, yield and
keeping ability. Organic growing gives me that although given that I use
trace elements once a year that come in a pack I don't claim to be a true
organic grower. I use only animal manures, compost and teas however on beds
in additon to the once yearly trace elements. I started my veg garden on
dirt (not soil) that looked and acted like concrete and where not an
earthworm was to be seen.

Justification for that would be impossible to do in a post as I'd have to
give you 40 years reading, and garden observation cut to less than a bone.
Some clues: Billy's post about soil biota and ad to that brix and baume.
Do a google.