Old 22-04-2009, 03:48 AM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Front Garden and the Food Bill

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 11:17:00 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

Perhaps I was too general and should have included recipes on the dozens
of
ways I can use Swiss Chard. I also should have been more specific about
the
conditions under which I grow it.

Try groiwng it in shade in your mid summer. Try using the tiny new leaves
raw in a salad. Try using the big thick old ribs on their own cooked and
served in a white sauce whilst using the leaves in soup. Onlyu 3 ideas
for
this most versatile of vegetables.

I don't grow Swiss chard,

Why not? It really is a wonderful vegetable. I couldn't stand it as a
child as it was always overcooked (always cooked! - it's wonderful raw) and
had that ghastly unrelieved iron taste to it. For that I have to thank my
mother's cooking. It was only as an adult that I came to appreciate it -
the same applies for cabbage. Home grown cabbage, cooked straight from the
garden was similarly a revelation to me as an adult.

but being a vegetarian I will certainly try
your ideas for cooking. I welcome any you want to share.

It's one of those veg that, although I have lots of recipes in which I use
it, I use it more frequently in a quite ad hoc way. If something I'm
making needs a bit of raw green, then I'll chop up tiny new leaves - I use
if often in rice salads for instances. I add it to fritattas (not useful
for a vegan I know but I keep chooks and have to use lots of eggs) but that
is just another example. I've even used it with goats cheese and Balsamic
vinegar to top a pizza so it was wilted rather than cooked. Too many uses
really to be too specific.

I'm going
vegan, but it takes a lot of time and care. I made a mock guacamole
using peas and garbanzo beans (chick peas) and garlic and some tahini.
Mmmmmm mmm.

Sounds good. How do you make that?