Old 22-04-2009, 12:56 PM
fimonkey fimonkey is offline
Registered User

Default Compost and horse manure

HI,

In the small patch of shady soil which I've cleared of the huge pink weeds (of which I have posted another question) I would like to start growing veg/flowers.. anything really.

I am lucky enough to own a horse, her waste (from the field so no shavings etc) usually goes down to the allotment. If I were to dig some of this manure into my soil, how do I know it's broken down enough? I put some in a plastic bag about 6 weeks ago and now its totally dry and crumbly and very light brown. Should I dig this in with my soil? How much would I need? The patch of soil is about 1m2, the bag of manure about the size of a black sack.

Many thanks

Fi