Old 23-04-2009, 09:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
George.com George.com is offline

Default Time release fertilizers

"Tim" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
George.com wrote:

Tim, I think the point Billy is making, and perhaps not a bad point
either, is think about other sorts of time release fertilisers also.
Poop based fertilisers for example are also slow release but are also
good for your soil. Don't just look at symthetic slow release, think
about natural fertilisers that deliver a managed amount of nutrients to
your plants and also do some benefit to your soils.

Hi Rob. Thanks for the well written post.
At the beginning of each growing season, I do mix in some
composted poop into my containers.

And what do you observe? Have you tried using only composted poop in one
lot, a mix of composted poopand chemicals in another lot and just
chenmicals in a third lot?

I wouldn't mind betting pounds to peanuts that the chemical lot looks fat
and huge.

First of all...THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for your
prior post. 8-) If I needed attention getting, I wouldn't be here.

Now, no I never did that experiment!
But you raised a good point in "taste".

Tim, here is my simplistic view on using fertilisers - synthetic and
natural. I figured out a while ago that humus and organic matter in my soil
is good for it. Stripping away the humus was bad for my soil. Therefore, I
practise putting organic matter in to my gardens. I use composted manure,
compost or mulch. Bunging that stuff on my garden improves my soil over
time, but also beneifcally adds nutrients in a soil friendly manner which
are released in a controlled and time released way. Therefore, I concluded,
as long as I am adding organic matter tom my soil, the plants will get fed
in the process. Ipso facto, why bother adding extra fertiliser. To date my
veges have done nicely following this line of reasoning. They are not the
largest and fastest growing, but they are healthy and aboput right size for
me & the family, and they taste good. If I look after my soil, my veges look
after me.

rob