Old 23-04-2009, 02:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Tim Tim is offline

Default Time release fertilizers

George.com wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
George.com wrote:

Tim, I think the point Billy is making, and perhaps not a bad point
either, is think about other sorts of time release fertilisers
also. Poop based fertilisers for example are also slow release but
are also good for your soil. Don't just look at symthetic slow
release, think about natural fertilisers that deliver a managed
amount of nutrients to your plants and also do some benefit to
your soils.

Hi Rob. Thanks for the well written post.
At the beginning of each growing season, I do mix in some
composted poop into my containers.

And what do you observe? Have you tried using only composted poop in
one lot, a mix of composted poopand chemicals in another lot and just
chenmicals in a third lot?

I wouldn't mind betting pounds to peanuts that the chemical lot looks
fat and huge.

First of all...THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for your
prior post. 8-) If I needed attention getting, I wouldn't be here.

Now, no I never did that experiment!
But you raised a good point in "taste".

Tim, here is my simplistic view on using fertilisers - synthetic and
natural. I figured out a while ago that humus and organic matter in my
soil is good for it. Stripping away the humus was bad for my soil.
Therefore, I practise putting organic matter in to my gardens. I use
composted manure, compost or mulch. Bunging that stuff on my garden
improves my soil over time, but also beneifcally adds nutrients in a
soil friendly manner which are released in a controlled and time
released way. Therefore, I concluded, as long as I am adding organic
matter tom my soil, the plants will get fed in the process. Ipso facto,
why bother adding extra fertiliser. To date my veges have done nicely
following this line of reasoning. They are not the largest and fastest
growing, but they are healthy and aboput right size for me & the family,
and they taste good. If I look after my soil, my veges look after me.

rob

Thank you all for your posts.
I think perhaps I may have come across different than I intended, as I
am aware of most of what is being posted here. In other threads, I've
stated before that I *used* to grow in raised beds, had a mulch pile,
etc...and never used duck chemfer....Had great plants.
When I had to switch to containers, I first started to make my own soil,
and included much organic material in the pots, as that was what I was
used too. Results became sporadic, both in varieties that grew well,
as well as years that would differ. I played with the mix of my soil,
with mixed results. Nothing consistent.
See, I don't view this as a "political", or "green" thing, but one of
consistency.
What I have learned just having inet connectivity restored after years
is that the eco-systems of containers is vastly different than land
based eco-systems. ie, what works great in the ground, may not work
in a container. Now, having read many posts from container specific
sites, everyone else has the same problem, that try the organic approach.
Looking at sites that sell organic material, one finds that the majority
of fertilizers are in need of microbes and other critters to make the
organic fert inorganic so the plant can use it. That, I think is the
problem for organic container gardeners, some time you have the
critters, some times you don't.
Heck, even the temp of the growing medium makes a difference. To high
or low, the critters don't work as well, or may die off.

Wow, this is long, sorry. The bottom line seems to be one of
consistency. The best results for most 'weekend' gardeners, seems to be
a mixture of the two worlds, at least with containers.

--
Tim

+ "Strange days indeed." +
+ Dr. Winston O'Boogie +