Old 23-04-2009, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Bramble / Blackberry flowering question

Rusty_Hinge writes
The message
from K contains these words:
Rusty_Hinge writes
The message
from Rusty_Hinge contains these words:

/prune/

Even in the first year up to fruit picking time? I grow the various
hybrids, and would expect about 8 ft.

I'm not going out now to measure mine (Oo-er!) but I'd estimate fifteen
to eighteen feet - and those were terminated before *THEY* had
intended...

/Prune/

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/...fruity_001.jpg - rather more
than 8 feet, I'd have said...

How old are the shoots in question?

Judging by blowing-up the pic, the one disappearing off the right of the
pic will be about one year old - no flowers or fruit visible, so I guess
the pic was taken in the spring - April, probably, as there are flowers
coming on now.

I don't think that's particularly different to what I was saying -
basically shoots appearing in the spring (for me, that's about now) are
about 8 ft by September when I'm cutting out fruited canes and tying in
the new ones - but by next spring they'll be about double that. So, yes,
it's perfectly feasible to tie in vertically because they're only half
grown when the time comes to loosen and tie in a fan shape for next
year's fruits.
--
Kay