Old 23-04-2009, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty_Hinge[_2_] Rusty_Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Bramble / Blackberry flowering question

The message
from K contains these words:

I don't think that's particularly different to what I was saying -
basically shoots appearing in the spring (for me, that's about now) are
about 8 ft by September when I'm cutting out fruited canes and tying in
the new ones - but by next spring they'll be about double that. So, yes,
it's perfectly feasible to tie in vertically because they're only half
grown when the time comes to loosen and tie in a fan shape for next
year's fruits.

Just walked the walk - I'd expect mine to have reached at least thirty
feet before September.

The one departing off the right of the picture was pruned - and it was
around ½" in diameter at the cut...

--
Rusty