Old 23-04-2009, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Allotment : Porous plastic sheets

"Hamer Family" wrote in message
I posted on her somewhere earlier that I covered a mound of couch grass
that I had dug out with these plastic sheets, cut slits through and planted
Kale plants in as an experiment. When the Kale had finished I removed the
plastic sheets and found that the couch grass had more or less gone and the
soil was rich and crumbly.

Thanks Mark that's good news as I intend to grow kale next year. We don't
have couch, maybe the soil's too acid. It's the worst year for dandylions
tho'.

The sheets I use are cheap blue and green woven plastic tarpaulins from
B&Q.

Does this mean they're non-porous and does it get dry underneath in Summer?
The local discount warehouse has the porous plastic, on 2m wide rolls, which
sells at 49p per metre. Not a bad price, but it looks very flimsy, I doubt
whether I'll get 2 seasons out of it.
..

..