Old 24-04-2009, 07:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Suzanne D.[_2_] Suzanne D.[_2_] is offline

Default Gardening Project for Kindergarten

"The Ranger" wrote in message
ndwidth...
I am teaching a kindergarten class about plants and one of the "science"
projects is growing a series of plants from seedlings. I've planned out my
plants but would like them to see them before we leave for the summer.
Is there a way of assisting the initial growth of the seedlings?

Heat helps, but plants have their own maturity times, and germination of a
couple of days earlier is not going to get you results much faster in the
long run.

Maybe you could plant something that they could take home and nurture after
school ends. If each child brings in a small plastic container with a
hinged lid (like the ones cherry tomatoes come in), they could make a salad
garden with a sprinkle of lettuce seeds in the middle, surrounded by green
onions. The onions will be fun to taste long before they are ready to
harvest, and baby lettuce can be nibbled on too, so the kids could get a
little taste of their work before school ends. Then they could take it home
and keep it watered for their own summer salads.
--S.