Old 24-04-2009, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_4_] Ophelia[_4_] is offline

Default Ants

Martin wrote:
On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 20:24:58 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

Jeff Layman wrote:
Ophelia wrote:
Forgive me if someone already responded to my question, but if so I
didn't see it

What damage do ants do to the garden and if so, which plants do
they attack?

This has been covered many times before in this newsgroup.

My apologies. I am new here and I hadn't seen it.

Basically, they do not attack the plant itself, but encourage
aphids. Not only to they encourage them, they protect them from
aphid predators.
They can damage potted plants by removing soil to form nests in the
pots. The plant will eventually keel over as it will suffer from
lack of water when a large propoartion of the soil has been removed.

Thank you.

If you spray the aphids with a mix of soapy water and meths, the ants
will get you in a place where you least expect it.

I think you will need to explain that more fully, if you please.